You shouldn’t have to spend a fortune on a Mac to get a good desktop computing experience!
Unlike Windows PCs, Macs require almost no customization to work well out of the box. But if you’re anything like us and have a hard time justifying the high price tag of a Mac, there are a few things you may want to do when setting up Windows that can make it a bit better of an experience.
When installing Windows 10, here’s what we do (and recommend):
- Remove or replace (most) built-in Windows 10 Apps
- Remove Paint-3D in Windows 10:
Open Windows PowerShell (run as admin)
Enter “Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.MSPaint | Remove-AppxPackage” into
- Remove 3D Objects From This PC (Along with Other Folders)
- Uninstall Mixed Reality Portal in Windows 10
- Download these Registry files: Download Registry Files.
- Unpack them to any folder you like, e.g. on your Desktop.
- Double-click the file “Add Mixed Reality to Settings.reg” and confirm the import operation.
- Open Settings and go to Mixed Reality.
- On the left, select Uninstall.
- On the right, click on the Uninstall button.
Restart the computer to finish removing the Mixed Reality Portal app.
Fix broken file/app associations:
- Use Windows-Pause to open the System Control Panel applet.
- Click on Control Panel Home (upper left), and select Default Programs from the screen that opens up.
- Here you have two main options: Select “set your default programs” or “associate a file type or protocol with a program”.
- The first lets you associate all supported file types with a program. If you pick VLC for example, you may associate all video and audio formats with it.
- The second option gives you granular control over the process as it enables you to associate individual file types or protocols with programs.
For further tweaking, try Winaero Tweaker
Get Windows Photo Viewer Back in Windows 10: https://cnet.com/how-to/how-to-get-windows-photo-viewer-back-in-windows-10/
Turn Sticky Keys Off: Disable-the-irritating-sticky-filter-keys-popup-dialogs
Separate settings for trackpad, mouse:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/automousesw/ — Can’t install on Win8 (can’t install as admin)
http://autosensitivity.codeplex.com/ — Buggy, doesn’t really work, at least not in Windows 8 (or 10) as of 2015–12–23
http://gphotoshow.com/mouse-speed-switcher.php — Also doesn’t allow for separate control in Win 8 & contains nagware
Paint.Net – Much smaller & efficient free Photoshop / GIMP alternative (more basic). Can open some newer PSDs without Photoshop w/ plugin. Buggy in 10.