You shouldn’t have to spend a fortune on a Mac to get a good desktop computing experience!
Unlike Windows PCs, Macs require almost no customization to work well out of the box. But if you’re anything like us and have a hard time justifying the high price tag of a Mac, there are a few things you may want to do when setting up Windows that can make it a bit better of an experience.
When installing Windows 10, here’s what we do (and recommend):
- Remove or replace (most) built-in Windows 10 Apps
- Remove Paint-3D in Windows 10:
Open Windows PowerShell (run as admin)
Enter “Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.MSPaint | Remove-AppxPackage” into
- Remove 3D Objects From This PC (Along with Other Folders)
- Uninstall Mixed Reality Portal in Windows 10
- Download these Registry files: Download Registry Files.
- Unpack them to any folder you like, e.g. on your Desktop.
- Double-click the file “Add Mixed Reality to Settings.reg” and confirm the import operation.
- Open Settings and go to Mixed Reality.
- On the left, select Uninstall.
- On the right, click on the Uninstall button.
Restart the computer to finish removing the Mixed Reality Portal app.
Fix broken file/app associations:
- Use Windows-Pause to open the System Control Panel applet.
- Click on Control Panel Home (upper left), and select Default Programs from the screen that opens up.
- Here you have two main options: Select “set your default programs” or “associate a file type or protocol with a program”.
- The first lets you associate all supported file types with a program. If you pick VLC for example, you may associate all video and audio formats with it.
- The second option gives you granular control over the process as it enables you to associate individual file types or protocols with programs.
PC Decrapifier – Remove unneeded crapware from your Windoze installation
Duplicate Cleaner (Freemium)
WizTree – Audit disk usage to recover storage space.
For further tweaking, try Winaero Tweaker
Turn Sticky Keys Off: Disable-the-irritating-sticky-filter-keys-popup-dialogs
Separate settings for trackpad, mouse:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/automousesw/ — Can’t install on Win8 (can’t install as admin)
http://autosensitivity.codeplex.com/ — Buggy, doesn’t really work, at least not in Windows 8 (or 10) as of 2015–12–23
http://gphotoshow.com/mouse-speed-switcher.php — Also doesn’t allow for separate control in Win 8 & contains nagware
Paint.Net – Much smaller & efficient free Photoshop / GIMP alternative (more basic). Can open some newer PSDs without Photoshop w/ plugin. Buggy in 10.